Skip to main content

Sketching Caddo Lake State Park




We recently acquired a Texas State Parks yearly pass. And we are using it to full capacity. Whoever said that there isn't much to do in Texas, think again. Texas is one of those few states in the country where the chance of one suffering from cabin fever is less to nil. All the recent ga-ga about moving to Canada, no thanks. I want myself to at least have the option of going outside when I want to.

A few weeks back, we went to Caddo Lake State Park, at the Texas-Louisiana border. It is Texas's only natural lake state park, and has very beautiful and eerie bald cypress swamps. We went on a Sunday evening, the crowds were thinning out, only people staying in the park were around. It was a little rainy , cool and very romantic. We stayed the night at one of the cabins within the park, which was also super pretty. The night sky was beautiful. It was pitch dark, with no ambient light. That was a really nice surprise. ( We used the SkyView app to see the night sky on the phone).

Early the next morning, I went out for a long walk to the lake, while it was still dark outside. Past the rangers accommodation, and the camp sites. The lake was still, just the occasional curious fish jumping out of the water.

Caddo Lake pier at dawn
Sculptural bald cypress trees in the lake, at dawn
Canoes for rent 


I was lucky enough to be able to sketch a little, both at the lake and at the cabins. I am so enjoying sketching from life nowadays. I used to do that in architecture school, way back in 2001-2002, but stopped after that. I don't know why. I used to be better that time, less inhibitions, more control over my hand. I want to get back to it, and the only way is tons and tons of practice (which I don't do). But, someday, right ? It is one of my long term goals.



Sketched this from the Caddo lake pier. Just the ink version, haven't added any colour at this point. 


Added colour and some commentary , while driving back home. I think I liked the ink version better. What do you think ?
The cabins were built in the 1930s by an organisation called CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps), created by President Roosevelt, to provide people with jobs during the great depression. I sketched this one from the bench outside Cabin no.5. 


Cabin No. 5
View from the bench of Cabin no. 5



Spanish moss hanging from a cypress tree


Spanish moss hanging from the bald cypress trees added to the eerie atmosphere of the swamp. There were apparently some big foot sightings here, in the 1960s. I am not surprised, this place does make the imagination run wild.

Spanish moss hanging from the bald cypress trees 
All these pictures are taken with my phone camera. I really wish the photographs could have done more justice to the place. On my early morning walk, there was a solitary photographer on the pier. He was blowing cigarette smoke in front of his camera and taking pictures. Some fog.. now wouldn't that have done justice to this place ?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homi & Jamshed Bhabha's classic house in Mumbai

I had the most memorable visit to Homi Bhabha 's ancestral property in Malabar Hills a few of months back. It was a big deal and one of a kind visit to one of India's most celebrated scientist, as his home turned out to be treat for a designer like me. Jamshed Bhabha had set up NCPA (National Centre of Performing Arts) in 1969 , India's premier cultural destination. The Bhabha brothers Jamshed and Homi were great connoisseurs of art. They had a huge collection of art work at their home, especially by Indian artists. Jamshed Bhabha passed away in 1997, leaving this home to the NCPA, which decided to auction all of their collection to benefit NCPA itself. The day I went was the day of viewing the items which were to be actioned off. Exquisite clothes , carpets and jewellery were on display. So were fabulous pieces of furniture, lovely crockery and dinnerware. The walls and ceilings were adorned with Lalique chandeliers and Art Deco  lights. The tables were set with th

An old temple complex at Kinhai, Maharashtra

One of my colleagues lives in Kinhai (which I believe) one of the most picturesque towns in the country. Surrounded by green fields and hills, and an old temple in the background, this place is the embodiment of peace itself. The village in question, with great views  Luckily, I happened to visit it with a few of my colleagues from work last year, during harvest season. This village is very remote, I don't think I could have gone there otherwise .The weather was great , the fields were ripe with produce and it was the perfect light to take some photographs. I have always enjoyed visits to old towns, especially remote ones. I enjoy looking at the buildings and the people. They live so differently from us, like they belong to another planet altogether. Here are some pictures I took of that place .. An old temple dedicated to Rama  The old temple complex begins  Children climb down the temple complex  Commands a magnificent view over the plains 

Scale and grafitti at Khotachi Wadi

When I was a fresh architecture grad, living in Mumbai, the word 'Khotachi wadi' cropped up frequently among my architect friends. It remained a mystery to me , until recently , when I finally visited it. It is a heritage wada  situated right in the heart of Girgaum. After much difficultly , I managed to locate it, asking several shop owners and pedestrians. Quintessential photograph of the lane  :) It is 'A village in the City' , as described in this blog . Taking a small lane from a very busy street , it seemed to me that I had reached a different world, altogether - quaint , brightly painted wooden houses situated on either side of narrow streets.  Colours abound in this little piece of architectural history.  The scale was so different from the buildings I had just crossed in South Mumbai. It was small, cosy and intimate. The houses looked into each other , seemed like everyone knew everyone else here. Scale is intimate and cozy Ol