Skip to main content

Homi & Jamshed Bhabha's classic house in Mumbai

I had the most memorable visit to Homi Bhabha's ancestral property in Malabar Hills a few of months back. It was a big deal and one of a kind visit to one of India's most celebrated scientist, as his home turned out to be treat for a designer like me.

Jamshed Bhabha had set up NCPA (National Centre of Performing Arts) in 1969 , India's premier cultural destination. The Bhabha brothers Jamshed and Homi were great connoisseurs of art. They had a huge collection of art work at their home, especially by Indian artists.

Jamshed Bhabha passed away in 1997, leaving this home to the NCPA, which decided to auction all of their collection to benefit NCPA itself. The day I went was the day of viewing the items which were to be actioned off. Exquisite clothes , carpets and jewellery were on display. So were fabulous pieces of furniture, lovely crockery and dinnerware. The walls and ceilings were adorned with Lalique chandeliers and Art Deco lights. The tables were set with the most unusual table decorations , every inch of the home was filled with delightful details. Their home was a wonderland, a cave full of rare treasures and I just couldn't get enough! I was dreaming about the home for many days after I visited it ...

As it always happens, I did not happen to carry my camera with me that day or I would have gone overboard taking pictures till they kicked me out of the house. I, however happened to click a few pictures with my phone camera. The resolution is not the best, but you can see the house with decent clarity. Here are some, if you care to take a look :)

The home from the outside 


Another view of the house 



The man in the garden 



The front porch with a semi-circular bench ,with my brothers perched on it :) 


The most beautiful balcony (on the 2nd floor, I think) opens to the wilderness of the Towers of Silence. 


Without doubt , my favourite design element of the house, the exquisite wooden staircase. I can almost imagine lovely Parsi ladies sauntering downstairs in their best sarees and diamonds and pearl jewellery  .. :) 



Another favourite of mine , the grand wooden entrance door 


The room next to the balcony above :) Tables are set, care to join me for some tea ? 


Sigh ... 



Exquisite carpet lines the corridor , I hope the lights had photographed a little better 


Very few dining rooms can match upto this one , I guess .. 



The chandelier in the dining room 



Old world furniture in one of the many bedrooms .. 


A glimpse of the living room , I loved the flooring 



I know my photographs don't do enough justice to the place. I wish I had stayed back there longer , that was probably my only chance !

And in case you are curious, all the furniture, carpets, lights, dinnerware were for sale and auctioned off at extremely high prices. I can imagine ALL of them in my house ;) , but I had to do with the catalogue of the auctioneers I got from there. In any case, I am more than happy to be able to see a part of my country's history in that house.

For those who wish to see all the articles on sale (or sold) from the Bhabha property , please see here.

All the stunning Indian artwork from Bhabha's collection can be viewed here.

Let me know how you found this post to be - suggestions most welcome !

Comments

  1. I can only imagine the house with some peaceful parsi folk... savouring akuri on those tables with irani chai ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D yes , I can imagine that too .. on that round table , with all that cutlery :)
      And dinner too , with patra ni Machi and some dhanshak :) :)

      Delete
    2. I so loved Dhanshak the one time I had it :D !

      Delete
  2. Lovely house and lovely pictures.Saddest thing in life is one has to leave all these things behind and take the final journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cutlery, jewellery and those other shiny trinkets apart, the house itself seems like a fabulous house with huge rooms and nice quiet verandahs. Let's hope they got a lot of good money for the treasures they sold which'll keep the NCPA running for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too !
      The house was lovely, but to me , it is made of things which are inside it too ! :)

      Delete
  4. An inspiration to many like me, India's most celebrated scientist's (Dr. HOMI JEHANGIR BHABHA) lovely home in Malabar Hill. It hurts to see the antique furniture and beautiful house auctioned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but all good things must come to an end ..

      Delete
  5. Yes, it does, but thats what was on the will. At least, its not going to ruins... that's the only solace

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless you for clicking it..!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice and informative article

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! So interesting! I just learned about Homi J Bahabha few days ago. I was reading my world news emails and there was this article talking about how a mountaineer had been awarded precious stones from being found 10 years ago. The stones were found at the tragic site where Air India crashed in 1966 ...and that is when I became new to the story of Homi J Bahabha. For the overwhelming sadness I felt as I read about the crash, makes me feel like I've known him. Such a beautiful person he was! He had such respect for his parents and all of his accomplishments in life are just so amazing! I want to thankyou for this article! If it wasnt for you sharing this exciting information on Homi J Bahabhas home, I'm not sure I would of ever been able to see it! So thankyou
    I'm not sure why but I just cant stop learning about him. His story just is so interesting that it has made me obsessed. If anyone reading this that may of known Homi, I send my deepest deepest sympathy to you. I pray God to shower you in peace and comfort. I'm so sorry. What a huge loss of life that tragic morning. Again, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful pictures of such a beautiful place that Homi J Bahabha lived. Absolutley breathtaking!
    Much love and peace to all❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot to ask ...but if you have anymore pictures, will you please share those as well. Again, thank you for sharing such beautiful pictures that hold some memories of Homi J Bahabha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your photos with us! Absolutley enjoyed! ❤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say what you need to say, love to hear from you :)

Popular posts from this blog

An old temple complex at Kinhai, Maharashtra

One of my colleagues lives in Kinhai (which I believe) one of the most picturesque towns in the country. Surrounded by green fields and hills, and an old temple in the background, this place is the embodiment of peace itself. The village in question, with great views  Luckily, I happened to visit it with a few of my colleagues from work last year, during harvest season. This village is very remote, I don't think I could have gone there otherwise .The weather was great , the fields were ripe with produce and it was the perfect light to take some photographs. I have always enjoyed visits to old towns, especially remote ones. I enjoy looking at the buildings and the people. They live so differently from us, like they belong to another planet altogether. Here are some pictures I took of that place .. An old temple dedicated to Rama  The old temple complex begins  Children climb down the temple complex  Commands a magnificent view over the plains 

Scale and grafitti at Khotachi Wadi

When I was a fresh architecture grad, living in Mumbai, the word 'Khotachi wadi' cropped up frequently among my architect friends. It remained a mystery to me , until recently , when I finally visited it. It is a heritage wada  situated right in the heart of Girgaum. After much difficultly , I managed to locate it, asking several shop owners and pedestrians. Quintessential photograph of the lane  :) It is 'A village in the City' , as described in this blog . Taking a small lane from a very busy street , it seemed to me that I had reached a different world, altogether - quaint , brightly painted wooden houses situated on either side of narrow streets.  Colours abound in this little piece of architectural history.  The scale was so different from the buildings I had just crossed in South Mumbai. It was small, cosy and intimate. The houses looked into each other , seemed like everyone knew everyone else here. Scale is intimate and cozy Ol